Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Waves

Waves are such a go-to image for just about anything. I realized that today sitting in Electrical Engineering gazing at the sine wave on the board.
Friends. Friends come and go in waves. I've been telling my little sister that friends will be good friends and they'll be bad friends. You will be friends with some people for short periods in your life, and others will remain your friends for a lifetime. Even if they are your lifelong friend, there are waves of seeing them more often than other times. Have I confused everyone yet? As far as college goes, I believe the friends you make in college will be the ones you remember when you're 60 years old. Not to say that your high school or even middle school friends won't be your lifelong friends as well.
Music. I have waves of listening to music all the time and constantly exploring for new artists and quality music. Other times I prefer silence. There are days when I just want to listen to Bob Marley all day, other days I want to indulge in some horrible pop and hip hop music.
Thoughts. Is it just me? I wake up some mornings focusing all of my attention on worries and anxieties from the previous day. Trying to cast my worries and anxieties away, I think about getting rid of these thoughts, but no can do. Other days my thoughts are everything positive. There's nothing in my way, and I am on top of the world. I'll be walking down the road to get to class and I just thank God for my life and for how blessed I am to be attending a great school and be living in a wonderful place.
Is everyone seeing this "wave" trend?
Now, on to more important topics.
Body image. According to my Reporting II professor, a new eating disorder has been identified. I'm not sure what it's called, it's not orthorexia, but it has to do with being a health food junkie. This would be a healthy thing, right? No. In this case, the person is so obsessed with obtaining food that hasn't been processed and is completely and 100% organic, that if they can't find any, they will eat nothing. These health food junkie-arexics would eat nothing over a salad that may or may not have been slightly processed. Even scarier, food labels can say their food is organic if it's only 5% organic. Yep, those daily bananas you've been consuming could be 95% non-organic. Mmmmm chemicals.
Organic Food. I'm a huge advocate of eating green and organic. But I'm not obsessed. Just as a side note, I was at Whole Foods when I reached for a package of raw chicken, only to put my arm back by my side and said "Oh, it's not organic." An actual farmer with an apron approached me and handed me a different package of chicken that looked kind of fancy. "This is my company. It's completely organic. We give the chickens windows and we let them out to play when the weather is nice. We also feed them grains with no antibiotics, hormones, and pesticide-free grass." So that's what the difference is. The chickens are able to lead a happy little life and BOOM. They're organic.

--Nblank

No comments:

Post a Comment